Heritage, Agricultural and Residential Property
ExpertiseWe act for a number of historic houses, and landed estates and with our expertise in real estate, trusts and corporate we can advise on even the most complex ownership arrangements. Members of our team are experienced in all rural property matters, from buying and selling farms and estates, to advising on agricultural tenancies, equine property, listed buildings, rights of ways and sporting rights. Our expertise in this area also covers tax - claiming and living with conditional exemption from tax, the making of offers in lieu of tax, gifts to the nation, private treaty sales and maintenance funds. We are always pleased to work with land agents and accountants as part of a wider team of advisers to a family and the estate. For further information on residential purchasing and sales, please see Residential Conveyancing.
ExperienceOur experience in this area includes:
- Advising a family on an offer in lieu of inheritance tax of a collection already subject to conditional exemptions from inheritance tax and estate duty including identifying the opportunities for minimising the impact of the existing exemptions to create maximum value for the offer in lieu
- Advising the trustees of a former Settled Land Act settlement on rationalising a succession of remainder interests to secure maximum capital gains tax advantages and to mitigate inheritance tax exposure
- Advising on the acquisition of a farm for a newly formed family farm partnership assisted by an existing family farm partnership which required substantial borrowing and which was to be secured on the assets of the partners of the existing partnership
- Advising on the division of a landed estate between jointly entitled beneficiaries in relation to land, trust and tax aspects and mineral extraction rights
- Advising on the acquisition of a landmark house and part of the surrounding estate in Wiltshire and advising on occupational tenancies and listed building issues